When you plan to take a holiday with your family, you’d like to visit a place that offers something of interest for everyone. Yes, Australia is packed with attractions for the whole family to enjoy.
With its sun-kissed beaches, amazing theme parks, a wide range of water-sport activities, wildlife, and rainforest this island country is equipped with a unique experience for people of all ages.
Places to Visit in Australia
Australia is a vast and diverse country with a wide range of attractions, from iconic landmarks to natural wonders. Here are some must-visit places in Australia:
- Sydney, New South Wales:
- Visit the Sydney Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge.
- Explore Bondi Beach and the coastal walk.
- Discover the historic Rocks area and Circular Quay.
- Great Barrier Reef, Queensland:
- Experience the world’s largest coral reef system with snorkeling or diving.
- Visit Cairns or Port Douglas as gateways to the Great Barrier Reef.
- Melbourne, Victoria:
- Explore the vibrant laneways and street art.
- Visit the Royal Botanic Gardens and Federation Square.
- Experience the cultural scene with museums and theaters.
- Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Northern Territory:
- Witness the iconic Uluru (Ayers Rock) at sunrise or sunset.
- Explore the ancient rock formations of Kata Tjuta.
- Great Ocean Road, Victoria:
- Drive along the stunning coastline and see the Twelve Apostles.
- Explore the Otway National Park and its rainforests.
- Visit Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park.
- Explore Freycinet National Park and Wineglass Bay.
- Discover the historic site of Port Arthur.
- Kangaroo Island, South Australia:
- Encounter wildlife, including kangaroos and sea lions.
- Explore Flinders Chase National Park and Remarkable Rocks.
- Whitsunday Islands, Queensland:
- Relax on Whitehaven Beach, known for its pristine white sand.
- Sail or cruise around the Whitsunday Islands.
- Daintree Rainforest, Queensland:
- Explore one of the oldest rainforests in the world.
- Take a river cruise along the Daintree River.
- The Kimberley, Western Australia:
- Cruise through the stunning Horizontal Falls.
- Explore the Bungle Bungle Range in Purnululu National Park.
- Blue Mountains, New South Wales:
- Enjoy hiking and panoramic views of the Three Sisters.
- Explore the Jenolan Caves.
- Adelaide, South Australia:
- Visit the Adelaide Central Market.
- Explore the Adelaide Botanic Garden.
- Gold Coast, Queensland:
- Experience the theme parks, including Dreamworld and Warner Bros. Movie World.
- Relax on the golden beaches.
- Perth, Western Australia:
- Visit Kings Park and Botanic Garden for city views.
- Explore Fremantle and its historic architecture.
- Darwin, Northern Territory:
- Explore the multicultural city and Mindil Beach Sunset Market.
- Visit Kakadu National Park for Aboriginal rock art.
- Port Douglas, Queensland:
- Gateway to the Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest.
- Relax on Four Mile Beach.
- Hunter Valley, New South Wales:
- Explore Australia’s oldest wine region.
- Enjoy wine tasting and vineyard tours.
- Rottnest Island, Western Australia:
- Cycle around the island and meet quokkas.
- Snorkel in the clear waters of the island.
- Canberra, Australian Capital Territory:
- Visit the Australian War Memorial.
- Explore the National Gallery of Australia and Parliament House.
- Broome, Western Australia:
- Experience the stunning Cable Beach and its sunset camel rides.
- Visit the historic town of Broome.
Top 4 Places to Visit in Australia in your next family holiday
Here are the top 4 places you cannot miss out to visit in Australia on your next family holiday.
1. Theme Parks in Gold Coast
Queensland is a coastal city packed with several theme parks for your kids. You can pay a visit to the Sea World Marine Park having some stunning exhibits of marine animals. Also, you can watch the polar bears through the large underwater windows.
Shark Lagoon, manta rays, pelicans, penguins, and dolphins are the exhibits of this amazing park. You also can enjoy the fun-filled rides here.
The Dreamworld is also a wonderful theme park in Gold Coast where the whole family can enjoy together. Here you can enjoy the Vintage Car Adventure which will not only be a fun ride for your children, but also an educational lesson.
2. Snorkeling in Cairns
Cairns is the tropical city and the gateway to two heritage-listed sites – the Great Barrier Reef and the ancient Daintree Rainforest. You can head to the Sunlover Reef Cruise to head towards the pontoon on Moore Reef located on the outskirt of the Great Barrier Reef. You will get stinger suits and prescription masks before you begin your snorkeling adventure. Snorkel in the crystal-clear waters will let you meet Wally, a giant Maori wrasse fish.
3. Beaches in Sydney
Sydney has over 100 beaches and each of them is awesome. The Balmoral Beach in northern Sydney is known as a family-friendly beach where the waves are calm and the swimming area is enclosed. You can also visit the Coogee Beach in eastern Sydney which is next to the historic Wylie’s Bath, a gorgeous tidal pool situated on the southern end of the beach.
No beach trip in Sydney is complete if you do not visit Bondi Beach. With soft golden sand, stretching over 1 Km, this iconic beach is popular for surfing and swimming. There is also a fenced playground, known as the Bondi Beach Playground, for the little ones right next to this beach.
4. Kangaroo Island
Kangaroo Island is the best and finest hotspot for eco-tourism in Australia. You need to embark on the exciting SeaLink ferry that rides from Cape Jervis to the ferry port in Penneshaw on the island. You can watch here the colony of endangered sea lions at the Seal Bay Conservation Park with a guided tour.
From enjoying the rejuvenating rides at the theme parks in Gold Coast to snorkeling in the clear waters near the Great Barrier Reef, your family trip to Australia will be filled with several things to do.