Planning to think of visiting Melbourne this year but not sure where to start or what are the places to visit with your kids while you’re there?
Things to do in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia, is a vibrant and culturally rich city with a wide range of activities and attractions to explore. Here are some popular things to do in Melbourne:
- Federation Square: A cultural and entertainment hub, Federation Square is home to galleries, restaurants, and events. It’s a great starting point for exploring the city.
- Royal Botanic Gardens: Relax in the beautiful Royal Botanic Gardens, featuring a diverse range of plants, landscapes, and walking paths. It’s a peaceful oasis in the heart of the city.
- National Gallery of Victoria (NGV): Visit NGV to explore an extensive collection of art, including Australian, European, and Asian masterpieces. The gallery often hosts special exhibitions and events.
- Melbourne Museum: Located in Carlton Gardens, Melbourne Museum offers a fascinating journey through natural history, indigenous cultures, and various exhibitions.
- Queen Victoria Market: Shop for fresh produce, gourmet foods, clothing, and unique souvenirs at the iconic Queen Victoria Market. It’s the largest open-air market in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Street Art in Hosier Lane: Discover the vibrant street art scene in Hosier Lane, where ever-changing murals and graffiti cover the walls. It’s a dynamic and colorful expression of Melbourne’s creative spirit.
- Southbank Promenade: Enjoy a stroll along the Yarra River at Southbank Promenade. The area is lined with restaurants, cafes, and shops, offering stunning views of the city skyline.
- Eureka Skydeck: Take in panoramic views of Melbourne from the Eureka Skydeck, located on the 88th floor of the Eureka Tower. The Skydeck features a glass cube known as “The Edge.”
- Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG): If you’re a sports fan, visit the MCG, one of the world’s most famous stadiums. You can take a guided tour or attend a sporting event.
- St Kilda Beach: Relax at St Kilda Beach, a popular seaside suburb. Enjoy the sandy beach, visit Luna Park, and explore the lively Acland Street with its cafes and cake shops.
- Royal Arcade: Experience the charm of the historic Royal Arcade, known for its elegant architecture and boutique shops. Don’t forget to check out the famous Gog and Magog statues.
- Old Melbourne Gaol: Explore the Old Melbourne Gaol, a former prison that housed notorious criminals. Take a guided tour to learn about its history and the infamous bushranger, Ned Kelly.
- Chinatown: Wander through Melbourne’s Chinatown, the oldest in Australia. Enjoy delicious Chinese cuisine, visit Asian grocery stores, and experience the vibrant atmosphere.
- State Library of Victoria: Visit the State Library, a cultural and architectural landmark. Explore its impressive reading rooms, exhibitions, and historical collections.
- Yarra Valley Wine Tour: Take a day trip to the Yarra Valley, renowned for its wineries. Enjoy wine tastings, picturesque vineyards, and scenic landscapes.
Here I have rounded up the top 7 things to do in Melbourne and zones that will not only surprise and entertain your kids but will also make them learn new things!
Free Art Activities
This is an amazing concept for kids! Located down from Federation Square along the Yarra River, this building is dedicated to kids exploring their creative juices. You have to pay, but you may often get free activities. We met up with a friend and our kids created their universes made out of materials in the garden.
We don’t usually visit museums, but you’d enjoy learning more about the history of arts and creating weird video clips at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image in Federation Square. In Melbourne, there are plenty of interactive spaces for your children to learn and be engaged if they are fond of such things that get them excited.
Great Cafe Culture
There are several family-friendly cafes and clubs in Melbourne with inside and outside play areas. You must hit up the wildest restaurants, High Tea at the Langham Hotel on Southbank that serves a top-shelf high tea with multiple themes.
Kid-friendly bike riding trails
Your can kids can enjoy riding on the St Kilda to Brighton path as Melbourne is made for cyclists. Whilst you can watch the die-hard crazies riding on numerous biking trails that are great for kids. Your kids can also explore the Yarra River and Bayside foreshore from St Kilda to Brighton on their bikes.
From Eureka Skydeck you will get the 360-degree views of Melbourne, from the highest viewing point in the southern hemisphere, is a hit for kids in Melbourne.
It is great to go up just on sundown so you can experience Melbourne by day and as it slips into night. You can also stand on the edge of the building. Although it’s slightly freaky but well worth to experience it.
Calm Swimming Beaches
Many may not have the idea that Melbourne had nices beaches – even beautiful beaches. Just a little further away from St Kilda, you’ll see some amazing family-friendly beaches. In the summertime, the water temperature is quite comfortable and calm making it the perfect beach for kids. The best ones are Elwood and Parkdale beaches. Visiting beaches are one of the things to do in Melbourne
You can also give a treat to your kids as they’ll love to have a pizza and ice cream dinner while watching the sunset on St Kilda beach. When they play in the sand, you can relax with a glass of vino.
Visiting the zoo can be one of the best things to do in Melbourne with kids. You would love to visit Werribee Zoo as it is a place that will surprise you. It is probably as good as most kids are going to visit without getting on a plane. One of the best things to do in Melbourne with kids.
These are some of the most popular and entertaining options for your kids to keep them engaged and you could get to the animals and the zoo’s strong focus on the interaction of endangered animals. These activities offer just a glimpse of the diverse and dynamic experiences Melbourne has to offer. Whether you’re interested in arts, history, nature, or culinary delights, Melbourne has something for every type of traveler.