Melbourne is an exciting place to visit with family and friends. There are many things that you can choose to do. From the arts, to restaurants to the party scene, Melbourne has it all. One of the favorite places for people to go to are the Returned and Services Leagues clubs in Australia. These clubs were opened to benefit the current members and the former members of the Australian Defense league, but they are also open to other guests as well. They offer dining, drink and other entertainment for anyone that wants to check them out. They are also well known for the gaming options that they offer.
What is RSL?
The Returned and Services League of Australia (RSL) is a support organisation for people who have served or are serving in the Australian Defence Force.
The RSL’s mission is to ensure that programs are in place for the well-being, care, compensation and commemoration of serving and ex-service Defence Force members and their dependants; and promote Government and community awareness of the need for a secure, stable and progressive Australia. However, even as late as the 1970s it was described as an “inherently conservative” organization.
Licensed clubs were formed as commercial activities to initially provide services by sub-branches to their members, including providing an environment for the protection and promotion of the ideals of the ANZAC spirit and heritage. The venues were established to provide hospitality for war veterans and a place for comradeship. Often they were located on land granted by the state government. Over time these commercial entities, known generally as RSL Clubs (but also called Ex-Services, Memorial, Legion or other similar names) generated profits and often donated to local community services.
The membership base of the licensed clubs, totalling more than a million, differs significantly from membership of the League. Membership of the League does not automatically confer rights of entry or membership to a licensed club but in some jurisdictions clubs extend honorary membership to serving members of the ADF.
The RSL licensed club in Goodna, Queensland. Licensed clubs operating under the RSL “banner” usually have bar and dining facilities for their members and guests, and sometimes have extensive gambling areas. Each evening at 6.00 pm the Ode of Remembrance is read, followed by one minute’s silence to honour those who died serving their country.
7 RSL Clubs In Melbourne You Must Pay A Visit
Time spend at an RSL club in Melbourne will be enjoyed by playing keno or taking part in different sports. The key is to find the right RSL club to take in. When it comes to the RSL clubs in Melbourne some stand out from others. This is a list of the 7 RSL Clubs in Melbourne you must pay a visit to.
- Camberwell RSL – this club is part of the RSL Victoria organization. They offer membership to people 18 and older and offer plenty of membership options. It is possible to join as a member of visitors can enter the facilities as a guest of a member. They offer a bar restaurant, gaming area and a lounge.
- Cheltenham Moorabbin RSL – This club is surrounded by parklands. Their facilities include a bistro, and they offer bingo and other gaming entertainment. Music from poplar bands provide more entertainment for the members and their guests.
- Clayton RSL – They are known for many things at this club. Great food, great company and great entertainment can be found at one of the best sporting clubs in Melbourne.
- Darebin RSL – This club is not affiliated with any political party and is completely independent. They offer a Gaming room, a bar, a bistro and a sports complex for their members. The food is well priced and the gaming options are fun and provide players with a chance to win big jackpots.
- RYE RSL – They offer long stylish bar, multiple service points and a variety of local and international beers on tap, and are the perfect place for any social gathering. They have a number of big screen TV’s and Projectors to catch the latest live sporting action from Foxtel, Sky Channel and Optus Sport. THeir TAB facilities include numerous race information and result screens, multiple EBT’s plus easy to access free wifi.
- Phillips Island RSL – There goal is to provide high quality food and entertainment to all of their visitors. They have plenty of options for everyone and they offer a very welcoming environment.
- St Kilda RSL – Often considered the hidden gem in Melbourne, they offer plenty of fun and food for all that visit.
When visiting Melbourne a RSL is a great choice. They can be fun for people of all ages. Adults can enjoy the food and drink and the gaming entertainment that is offered at the RSL clubs and the kids can enjoy the games designed for them. It is something that everyone should consider including when they are in Melbourne and these clubs will not disappoint with the things they provide. Make sure to check these place out.